An experienced litigator, Mike’s trial practice focuses on product liability, premise liability, and general civil litigation. He represents businesses involved in the manufacture, sale and distribution of HVAC equipment, construction materials, paint, mechanical seals, small engines, and all kinds of industrial equipment, in addition to premises owners and retailers. Mike has litigated numerous personal injury and wrongful death cases. He has represented entities ranging from large Fortune 500 companies to small businesses.
Mike has extensive civil litigation experience. In additional to personal injury matters, he has litigated a variety of civil cases over the course of his career, including complex commercial disputes, employment, real estate, and professional malpractice claims. Mike has worked on class actions and multi-district litigation claims. His employment litigation experience includes state and federal cases involving discrimination, whistleblower, sexual harassment, and retaliation claims. He has also assisted individuals and small businesses with contractual matters and real estate issues.
Mike has first and second chair jury trial experience. He has successfully handled proceedings at every level of the Missouri court system as well as matters before administrative tribunals and alternative dispute resolution venues. His litigation practice also includes appeals in state and federal appellate courts. Outside of the courtroom, he defended a student accused of misconduct before a disciplinary board at a major university.
Mike manages all aspects of litigation, including initial case strategy, written discovery, motion practice, depositions, ADR, settlement negotiation, trial, and appeal. He has appeared at hundreds of depositions, and cross-examined and defended depositions of plaintiffs, defendants, corporate representatives, retained and non-retained experts, and fact witnesses. Mike has argued a myriad of pretrial motions, discovery disputes, dispositive motions, and post-trial motions.
Mike regularly presents and moderates CLE programs for the Missouri Bar and others. Prior to joining Hawkins Parnell in 2019, Mike litigated at two prominent firms in the St. Louis area.
- University of Tulsa College of Law (J.D., 2007)
- Kansas State University (B.S., 2004)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Bar Young Lawyers' Section Council (2014-2018)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Young Lawyers' Division Chair (2013-2015)
- Young Lawyers’ Division Treasurer (2011-2012)
- Young Lawyers’ Division Executive Committee Member-at-Large (2009-2011)
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2022-2023)
- Commercial Litigation
- Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2017, 2019-2021)
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- University City Public Library Board of Trustees (2020-present)
- City of Brentwood, Missouri
- Member, Board of Adjustment (2010-2016)
- Planning and Zoning Commission (2016-2018)
- "Motions to Compel & Sanctions," Discovery Workshop, The Missouri Bar (2021)
- “2019 Changes to Missouri’s Discovery Rules," The Bar Plan, Webinar (June 2020)
- "For the New or Newish Lawyer – The Basics of Motions to Compel and Motions for Sanctions," The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Webinar (2020)
- “Motions to Compel + Motions for Sanctions,” The Bar Plan (2019)
- “2018 Discovery Workshop – St. Louis: Motions to Compel + Motions for Sanctions,” The Missouri Bar (2018)
- Moderator: “Coffee & Core Concepts: Contracting & Closing in Real Estate Transactions,” The Missouri Bar (2018)
- Moderator: “The Trial Experience,” The Missouri Bar (2017)
- “2015 Amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure” Sher Corwin Winters (2015)
- “Ethics, Technology and Social Media,” Sher Corwin Winters (2013)
- “Federal Jurisdiction and Venue Clarification Act” Sher Corwin Winters (2012)
- “Potpourri of Ethics/Metadata,” Sher Corwin Winters (2010)
- “New Ethics Rules in Missouri Part II,” Devereux Murphy (2008)
- "New Ethics Rules in Missouri Part I,” Devereux Murphy (2008)