Matthew Dowling is an experienced litigator defending product liability and wrongful death claims on the insurer side arising from both transportation and toxic substance exposure claims. He has defended numerous transportation-related claims in federal courts throughout the United States for companies such as United, Frontier, and Republic airlines. He has also defended these clients in cases involving injuries allegedly caused by specific product failures, negligence actions arising from accidents on premises, and related employment claims.
Matthew’s most recent transportation trial occurred in Cook County, Illinois. This was a two-week wrongful death trial stemming from the crash of a Piper Saratoga aircraft in Wheeling, West Virginia. The wreck resulted in fatal injuries to the pilot and four passengers. The pilot’s estate brought a wrongful death action alleging design defects with the autopilot manufactured by the defendant. The jury returned a full defense verdict for Matthew’s client.
In addition to defending transportation and toxic tort claims for numerous clients, Matthew spearheads the defense of mesothelioma claims related to alleged contaminated talcum powder in Illinois. He helps navigate these distinct claims that exposure to talcum powder only, rather than traditional asbestos products, is causing mesothelioma. Clients have retained Matthew to defend against new legal issues due to the creative approaches he takes in providing cost-effective case management and resolution of claims.
- John Marshall Law School (J.D., 2013)
- Executive Lead Articles Editor, The John Marshall Law Review
- Trial Advocacy Honors Council
- Moot Court Honors Council
- Dean's List
- Indiana University Bloomington (B.A., 2010)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2018-2021)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants; Transportation Law (2022)
- Long v. Honeywell International, Inc., Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Past Board Member, Friends of Mt. Sinai Children's Hospital