Martin Levinson represents businesses and individuals in all phases of the litigation process, from pre-suit investigation through litigation and appeals. Martin is admitted to all state and federal trial and appellate courts in the State of Georgia as well as the U.S. Supreme Court and he has appeared in the courts of over 60 Georgia counties and all three U.S. District Courts in Georgia. Martin has also handled numerous cases in the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Georgia.
Martin's litigation practice includes appellate matters, premises liability with an emphasis on negligent security and other complex cases, product liability, trucking and transportation, and bad faith litigation. Martin handles matters in all phases of the litigation process, including advising clients on litigation avoidance and risk mitigation, pre-suit liability and/or coverage analysis, matters in active litigation, mediation and settlement, trial, and appeals. He is a frequent speaker and presenter on current events and hot topics on the Georgia legal landscape.
Martin has been recognized by both Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers publications, and he currently serves as Vice President of the Georgia Defense Lawyers Association (GDLA).
Through his work with the GDLA, Martin has played a role in shaping the litigation and appellate landscape in Georgia. From 2015 to 2019, Martin served as Chair of the GDLA's Amicus Curiae Committee. In that role, Martin directed the GDLA's appellate efforts, serving as author or author of dozens of GDLA "friend of the court" briefs filed on issues of significant importance to the Georgia defense bar and their clients in the Georgia Court of Appeals, Supreme Court of Georgia, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. Since 2019, Martin continues to contribute to the Amicus Curiae committee as Chair Emeritus.
Beginning in 2020, Martin has served as one of 5 members of the GDLA's new Political Action Committee. Through that venture, Martin and the rest of the committee hope to effect positive change at the legislative level to promote fairness and reasonableness in civil litigation in Georgia.
Martin advises and represents individuals and businesses of all types and sizes, ranging from international food and beverage manufacturers, electronics and medical equipment manufacturers, and nationwide trucking and logistics companies to individuals and small business owners faced with litigation or other legal concerns.
Martin strongly believes that obtaining the best outcome for his client in any case requires flexibility, strategic analysis, and creativity. In every case, Martin's primary focus is to obtain the best possible result for his client, regardless of each case's and client's unique circumstances.
Martin has handled dozens of appeals in the Georgia Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Georgia. He has represented his clients and the interests of the statewide Georgia Defense Lawyers Association in cases involving important issues in the areas of premises liability/negligent security, settlement offers and acceptance (including so-called "bad faith setups"), apportionment of fault, product liability, and many other topics.
Martin vigorously defends businesses and individuals in all types of premises liability litigation ranging from slip-and-falls and trip-and-falls to complex negligent security matters. He has represented homeowners, small business owners, and Fortune 500 companies in these matters.
Product Liability and Food Safety
Martin represents businesses in cases alleging the manufacture and/or sale of defective products including consumer electronics, commercial equipment and machinery, HVAC equipment, and various consumer products. Through his work for one of the nation's largest food and beverage manufacturers, Martin has also developed a sub-specialty in the area of food safety and cases involving alleged contamination and unwholesome foods.
Trucking, Transportation, and Heavy Equipment
One of Martin's largest practice areas for the past 10 years has involved trucking and commercial transportation. Primarily, his work in this area involves accidents involving tractor-trailers, construction vehicles, ambulances, and other commercial vehicles and equipment, but he has also handled personal injury cases involving other heavy equipment such as forklifts and cases involving injuries at factories and other commercial facilities. Martin has handled numerous cases involving serious and permanent injury as well as wrongful death.
Commercial and Environmental Litigation
Martin also handles various commercial litigation matters, including business torts, contract disputes, data breach response and litigation, construction law and litigation, real estate disputes, and environmental litigation.
- University of Georgia School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2004)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Intellectual Property Law
- Prosecutorial Clinic (Office of the Solicitor-General, Gwinnett County)
- Senator, Student Bar Association
- University of Georgia (B.A., 2001)
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- State Bar of Georgia
- Legislative Advisory Committee (2015-2016)
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Commissioner, Atlanta Bar Competitive Softball League
- DeKalb Bar Association
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association (GDLA)
- Member, GDLA Political Action Committee (2020-present)
- Vice President (2020-present)
- Board of Directors (2015-2020)
- Chair Emeritus, Amicus Curiae Committee (2019-present)
- Chair, Amicus Curiae Committee (2015-2019)
- Chair, Premises Liability Substantive Law Committee (2013-2015)
- Vice Chair, Premises Liability Substantive Law Committee (2011-2013)
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- President's Award, Georgia Defense Lawyers Association (2017)
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- The Best Lawyers in America©, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (2021)
- Georgia Super Lawyers (2020-2021)
- Georgia Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2011, 2013-2019)
- Top Rated Lawyer in ‘Insurance Law,’ American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell (2013)
- Morgan v. Douglas Asphalt and Ellis, State Court of Coffee County
- Berry v. Ramsey, Superior Court of Fulton County
- Kohler v. Van Peteghem, Superior Court of Forsyth County
- Piper v. Pritchard Industries, State Court of Fulton County
- Mulligan v. Marshalls, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Hunt v. Collins, State Court of Fulton County
- “Lead in Drinking Water: Should You be Worried?” CLM Southeast Conference, Atlanta, GA (November 2018)
- "New Perspectives on Apportionment: From Georgia Courts and Beyond," Georgia Defense Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, Palm Coast, FL (June 2018)
- "Amicus Program Update," Georgia Defense Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, W. Palm Beach, FL (June 2017)
- "GDLA Amicus Filings Update," Georgia Defense Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, Amelia Island, FL (June 2016)
- "Federal vs. State Court: Key Differences, Practice Pointers, and Tips for Georgia Litigators," ICLE Trial & Error, Atlanta, GA (March 2015)
- "Managing Complex Liability Insurance Claims," 2015 Atlanta RIMS Educational Conference, Atlanta, GA (February 2015)
- "Negotiation Strategies for Claims Professionals," CLM Continuing Education Course, Zurich American Insurance, Chicago, IL (October 2014)
- “Who’s in Charge Here? Dealing with Difficulties that Arise Between Insurer and Insures as the Value of a Case Nears the Insured’s SIR,” CLM Transportation Conference, Chicago, IL (July 2014)
- "Deal or No Deal? Mutuality, Timing, and Other Issues Involved in Acceptance & Rejection of Settlement Offers &Demands,” Georgia Defense Lawyers Association Annual Meeting, Ponte Vedra, FL (June 2014)
- "Settlement Offers and Negotiations: Pitfalls, Pointers and Recent Developments," CLM Georgia Event, Atlanta, GA (February 2014)
- "Transportation Claims: How to Investigate, Defend, and Resolve," CLM Continuing Education Course, RLI Insurance, Atlanta, GA (December 2013)
- "Assessing and Addressing Insurance Fraud in the Claims Environment," CLM Continuing Education Course, Zurich American Insurance, Chicago, IL (October 2013)
- "Advanced Strategies for Success in Mediation," CLM Continuing Education Course, Swiss Re America, Chicago, IL (June 2013)
- "Advanced Strategies for Success in Mediation," CLM Continuing Education Course, Kemper Insurance, Charlotte, NC (February 2013)
- “Premises Liability: Emerging Trends and a Return to the Basics?” Georgia Defense Lawyers Association CLE, Atlanta, GA (2012)