Mark Hsu represents domestic and international clients in product liability, toxic tort cases, commercial disputes, wage/hour and employment matters, and insurance coverage litigation. He also operates as outside general counsel for startup companies – not simply providing legal services, but also serving as an advisor and primary point of contact on virtually all of the legal issues that these businesses face.
A New York City litigator for more than twenty years, Mark has practiced extensively in state and federal court and is actively involved in all phases from inception of the case through trial and appeal. Mark takes on every matter with a conscientious and versatile approach, whether it’s as national counsel conducting investigations and developing litigation strategies for Fortune 500 companies or providing risk management advice for mom-and-pop businesses. In the area of product liability, he is particularly experienced in managing and litigating asbestos cases. As national coordinating counsel for several manufacturing and premises defendants, he has helped develop and coordinate the defense of tens of thousands of cases around the country.
Mark was a founding co-chair of the diversity committee at Hawkins Parnell & Young. Proficient in Italian, Japanese and French, he is the North America Regional Officer and Outreach & Education Officer for the Young Lawyers’ Committee of the International Bar Association. He has spoken frequently on resilience, emotional intelligence, career development and issues specifically relevant to the legal profession. Before private practice, Mark clerked two years for the Honorable Judge Lawrence R. Leavitt of the U.S. District Court in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Washington University School of Law (J.D., 1996)
- Associate Editor, Washington University Law Review
- Representative, Student Bar Association (1994-1996)
- Johns Hopkins University (B.A., 1993)
- News Editor, The Johns Hopkins Newsletter
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- New York State Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- “Emotional Intelligence and the Law” Annual Conference, International Bar Association, Rome, Italy (October 11, 2018)
- “Resilience Under Pressure: Thriving or Surviving in the Legal Profession?” Annual Conference, International Bar Association, Sydney, Australia (October 9, 2017)
- “Redefining Personal Jurisdiction Post-Bristol-Myers,” Fall Conference, Asian American Bar Association of New York, New York City, NY (September 23, 2017)
- “Anything Except Litigation: Arbitration, Mediation and Other Forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution,” The Fundamentals of International Legal Business Practice, International Bar Association, Washington, D.C. (September 17, 2016)
- “An Approach to U.S. Litigation,” The Fundamentals of International Legal Business Practice, International Bar Association, Seoul, South Korea (July 9, 2015)