Catherine Goldhaber is partner-in-charge of the Chicago office of Hawkins Parnell & Young and a member of HPY’s Executive Committee. She opened HPY Chicago in 2017, building on twenty years as a litigator both in private practice and as an Assistant State’s Attorney. Catherine defends claims related to product liability, exposure to toxic substances, and transportation-related injuries. She also litigates commercial issues such as contract disputes and as related to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Catherine's numerous trial successes include prevailing on behalf of an insulation supplier in a case in which plaintiff claimed his mesothelioma was caused by defendant’s insulation. Her most recent defense verdict involved a career drywall installer. In both cases the jury was out for less than four hours. Happiest when she is standing in the well of a courtroom, Catherine handles matters directly in Illinois, Michigan and Missouri, and manages multi-state litigation as national coordinating and trial counsel.
In addition to her litigation practice, Catherine counsels clients in Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) issues, particularly as they arise throughout discovery and in resolution. Catherine currently serves as Chair of DRI's MSP Task Force. The MSP Task Force provides DRI members with updates and resources to understand the laws that affect litigation involving Medicare beneficiaries. DRI MSP Task Force members also represent DRI in relation to DRI’s Medicare Advocacy Recovery Coalition (MARC) membership. Through DRI and MARC, Catherine has met directly with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services on policy issues.
Clients retain Catherine for her extensive knowledge of methods and creative approaches to avoid and/or lessen the impact of litigation. In helping businesses resolve disputes, she provides clients with an objective "big picture" while keeping track of the minute details, resulting in cost-effective case management.
Prior to joining HPY, Catherine was a founding member of her firm’s Pro Bono and Public Service Committee and chaired the committee for many years. She served on the Chicago Bar Foundation’s Board and Young Professionals Board for over 10 years. Catherine currently serves on the board for Greater Chicago Legal Clinic. Chicago Lawyer magazine honored Catherine in its 2013 Women in Law edition, which recognized 17 women attorneys in Chicago for achievements in their practice, dedication to the profession, and commitment to community.
- Defense verdict for joint compound defendant in Cook County, Illinois jury trial, plaintiff asked for $25.8 million.
- Obtained dismissal for cable company in gas explosion case using schematics to demonstrate no potential culpability in matter.
- Successfully argued a motion to dismiss for lack of personal jurisdiction on behalf of client, a manufacturer of engineered materials, in an asbestos exposure case, Drew v. A.W. Chesterton Company, et al.
- Prevailed on a motion to dismiss based on forum non conveniens on behalf of three clients in an asbestos exposure case, Larsen v. A.O. Smith, et al.
- Worked with Massachusetts counsel to draft prevailing brief in Taylor v. General Electric Company, No. 12-cv-60048, 2013 WL 2367790 (E.D. Pa. May 30, 2013), resulting in court denying plaintiff’s motion to enforce settlement and holding that as the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services required a defendant to report a loss of consortium claim involving a Medicare beneficiary, it was appropriate for a defendant to require as a condition of settlement the disclosure of the loss of consortium plaintiff’s social security number.
- Victorious in trial on behalf of client involving sales of insulation to decedent's jobsite in which plaintiff's counsel asked jury for $3.5 million. Jury found for defendant.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice on behalf of an international hotel chain. The plaintiff had sought damages from Catherine's client based upon its relationship as franchisor to a hotel at which the plaintiff had been a guest. Catherine successfully obtained a ruling that the plaintiff had not shown that the franchisor/franchisee relationship established a duty of care on the part of the franchisor vis-a-vis the franchisee's hotel guest.
- Selected to serve on subcommittee regarding Medicare Case Management Order for Michigan's Circuit Court for the County of Wayne.
- As lead attorney, successfully obtained relief from $585,000 judgment against client prior to the firm's retention. Catherine further obtained a 100% award of all attorney fees and costs, including future attorney fees, eliminating all of her client's costs.
- Obtained summary judgment for flooring manufacturer despite product identification in a St. Louis City asbestos-related matter.
- Serves on National Coordinating and Trial Counsel teams for multiple corporations defending asbestos claims throughout the country.
- Provided pro bono representation to minors in guardianship proceedings in the Circuit Court of Cook County though her work with the Chicago Volunteer Legal Services.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., 1999)
- Michigan State University (B.A., with honors, 1995)
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- Trial Bar for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- MSP Task Force
- Chair (2017-2021)
- Vice Chair (2013-2017)
- Center for Law and Public Policy (2016-2018)
- Co-Vice Chair, Asbestos Medicine Seminar (2014-2019)
- MSP Task Force
- Chicago Bar Foundation
- Board of Directors (2009-2015)
- Co-Chair, 12th Annual Fall Benefit (2008)
- Past-President of Young Professionals Board (2005-2006)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Executive Council, Young Lawyers Section (2003-2005)
- State Bar of Michigan
- The Missouri Bar
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Greater Chicago Legal Clinic, Member, Board of Directors (2015-present)
- Chicago Bar Foundation
- The Honeycomb Project - Volunteer
- Estate v. Joint Compound Manufacturer, Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois
- Colleen Schrader et al. v. Ameron International Corp. et al., Court of Common Pleas Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania
- Clevenger, et al. v. Bartells Asbestos Settlement Trust et al., Superior Court of Washington, King County
- Sprague, et al. v. A.W. Chesterton Co., et al., Circuit Court of Multnomah County, Oregon
- Caruso v. M&O Insulation Co., Circuit Court of Sangamon County, Illinois
Published Appellate Opinions
- Startley v. Welco Manufacturing Co., 2017 IL App (1st) 153649
- In re K.S., 317 Ill.App.3d 830, 740 N.E.2d 425, 251 Ill.Dec. 344, Ill.App. 1 Dist., Nov 09, 2000 [as Catherine Boyd]
- In re M.R., 316 Ill.App.3d 399, 736 N.E.2d 167, 249 Ill.Dec. 325, Ill.App. 1 Dist., Aug 31, 2000 [as Catherine Boyd]
- Leading Lawyers, Products Liability Defense Law and Toxic Torts Defense Law (2016-2021)
- Chicago Bar Foundation's Distinguished Service Award (2007, 2015)
- Top 100 Women Attorneys in Michigan in Super Lawyers Magazine (2014)
- Honored as one of seventeen women attorneys in Chicago recognized in Chicago Lawyer magazine's 2013 edition of Women in Law (2013)
- Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2012-2013)
- Honors-at-Entrance Scholarship recipient and a CIVITAS ChildLaw Fellow at Loyola University College of Law; Selected for Loyola's Appellate Honors Program and London Comparative Advocacy Program
- “Damned if you do, Damned if you don’t,” Presentation on Damages and Damage Control, DALS, Chicago, IL (June 2021)
- "And Still……. No Federal Regulations for MSA’s from CMS," RISE, 6th Annual Medicare Secondary Payer Master Class (February 2021)
- “Military Benefits 101: Military Healthcare Reimbursement,” American Bar Association Webinar (November 2020)
- “Medicare Law: Medicare Parts A/B Healthcare Reimbursement,” American Bar Association Webinar (November 2020)
- "MSP Act – Proposed Rule on Civil Money Penalties," DRI's Medicare Secondary Payer Act Task Force, Webinar (April 2020)
- “Navigating the Shifting Landscape of Healthcare Liens in Litigation – A 2020 Update,” Perrin Conferences Webinar (April 2020)
- "Medicare and Medicaid Liens in Personal Injury Cases: Resolving Healthcare Liens or Claims for Reimbursement, Maximizing Settlement Awards," Strafford Webinars (March 2020)
- Co-Vice Chair, DRI Asbestos Medicine, Boston, MA (November 2019)
- “National Coordinating Counsel Perspective: Striving to Exceed Client Expectations,” co-speaker, DRI Asbestos Medicine, Boston, MA (November 2019)
- “Medicare Secondary Payer Act Update” and “Fact Discovery in Talc Cases,” presented at an invitation only event of insurance company, New York City, NY (November 2019)
- “Medicare Training: Demystifying Medicare,” presented at an invitation only event of insurance company, Philadelphia, PA (October 2019)
- "How to Keep Medicare Secondary Payer Act Compliance from Getting You AMP’d Up," HarrisMartin, Midwest Asbestos Litigation Conference, St. Louis, MO (September 2019)
- "Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) Issues," Oklahoma Association of Defense Counsel, Irving, TX (June 2019)
- "Medicare and Medicaid Liens in Personal Injury Cases," Strafford Webinars (March 2019)
- Co-Vice Chair, DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Austin, TX (November 2018)
- "Illinois Overview," presented at invitation-only event of insurance company (May 2018)
- "Ethical Considerations Regarding Medicare and Medicaid Liens," DRI 2018 Retail and Hospitality Seminar, Chicago, IL (May 2018)
- "Medicare and Medicaid Liens in Personal Injury Cases," Strafford Webinars (April 2018, encore presentation July 2018)
- Co-Vice Chair, DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Las Vegas, NV (November 2017)
- "Do You Need ESP to Address MSP? Suggestions on Working with Medicare Advantage Organizations When Settling a Personal Injury Case," Perrin Conferences, Webinar (July 2017)
- “National Coordinating Counsel Roundtable,” Defense Asbestos Lawyers Seminar (DALS), Orlando, Florida (June 2017)
- "Personal Jurisdiction," Client Retreat, Hilton Head, SC (May 2017)
- "Addressing Medicare and Medicaid Liens in Personal Injury Cases," Strafford Webinar with a live Q&A section (originally aired December 2016; rebroadcasted March 2017)
- Faculty Member, “Legislative, Case Law and Regulatory Trends and Developments,” NBI Personal Injury 101 Seminar, Fairview Heights, IL (February 2017)
- Medicare Secondary Payer Master Class, Dallas, TX (January 2017); Speaker, “Historical Background of MSP & the SMART Act, Panelist, “Special Think Tank Panel: Addressing Industry Concerns to Build Better Processes.”
- Speaker, "Medicare Language Releases: How to Construct One, Settlement Documents, Liens and Statutory Fines for Failing to Comply," ACI's 22nd Annual Asbestos Claims & Litigation Conference, Philadelphia, PA (January 2017)
- DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Co-Vice Chair and Panelist, "“Medicare Secondary Payer Compliance,” New Orleans, LA (November 2016)
- Panel Moderator: "Medicare Compliance," DRI 2016 Retail and Hospitality Seminar, Chicago, IL (May 2016)
- Panelist: "Navigating the Latest Changes Affecting Conditional Payment Resolution," Healthcare Education Associates: Medicare Secondary Payer Master Class, Orlando, FL (January 2016)
- Co-Vice Chair, DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Las Vegas, NV (November 2015)
- Panelist: “Jurisdictional Updates: Overview of California, Illinois and Emerging Jurisdictions,” Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview & Outlook, San Francisco, CA (September 2015)
- Panelist: “Don’t Forget About Medicare! How to Comply with Medicare Reporting Requirements When Settling Toxic Torts Claims," 2015 ABA Annual Meeting Chicago, Chicago, IL (July 2015)
- "Medicare Developments and Requirements," Client Retreat, Hilton Head, SC (May 2015)
- "Making Smart Plays with MSP," Client Presentation, Manchester, NH (November 2014)
- Co-Vice Chair, DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, San Francisco, CA (November 2014)
- Panelist: "Risky Business: Medicare Lien Recovery Extending Now to Medicare Advantage Plans - Are You at Risk?" DRI Webcast (February 2014)
- "Medicare Secondary Payer, Conditional Payment and Set-Aside Update and Tips," NBI's Advanced Issues in Personal Injury Litigation Seminar, Indianapolis, IN (December 2013)
- "Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C) Liens" and "Ethics in Lien Resolution," NBI's Complex Lien Resolution in Personal Injury Settlements Seminar, Oak Brook, IL (December 2013)
- Panelist: "How the Medicare Secondary Payer Act Impacts Employment Litigation," DRI Webcast (December 2013)
- Co-Vice Chair, DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Moderator: "Insuring Your Success - Gain Insight on What Concerns Insurers Today," New Orleans, LA (November 2013)
- Panelist: Women and Business Breakfast, Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview & Outlook, San Francisco, CA (September 2013)
- Panelist: "Mass Torts and MSP: Change Your Thinking," DRI Webcast, DRI's Medicare Secondary Payer Task Force (September 2013)
- Panelist: "Corporate Roundtable," Client Retreat, Hilton Head, SC (May 2013)
- "Medicare Secondary Payer Act Local Counsel Training," Sonoma, CA (April 2013)
- "Medicare Secondary Payer Act and Toxic Torts," coordinated through Perrin Conferences for client, Manchester, NH (April 2013)
- "Medicare Secondary Payer Act Concerns," half-day seminar for client, Hartford, CT (March 2013)
- Panelist: "Medicare - What Defense Attorneys Should Be Looking for When Settling a Case," Asbestos Defense Strategic Summit, Miami Beach, FL (November 2012)
- "Liability Medicare Set-Aside Workshop: 2012 Update," NBI, Indianapolis, IN (October 2012)
- "Medicare Secondary Payer Basics," presented to client, Indianapolis, IN (October 2012)
- "Ethics and Medicare Set-Asides," NBI's Medicare Set-Aside Workshop 2012 Webcast (June 2012)
- Co-presenter: "Medicare Secondary Payer Update," Client Retreat, Hilton Head, SC (May 2012)
- Panelist: "Medicare Panel," Perrin Conferences, Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation, Beverly Hills, CA (March 2012)
- "An Update on the Latest Guidance on Medicare Secondary Payer Issues - Making Every Second Count," Perrin Legal Webinar Series (February 2012)
- "Settling Cases and Ensuring Compliance with MSP/MMSEA," Focused In-House CLE, New York, NY (January 2012)
- "Medicare Set-Asides in Personal Injury Settlements," NBI Webcast (December 2011 and February 2012)
- Co-presenter: "Why We Care About Medicare," DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Las Vegas, NV (November 2011)
- "Settling Cases and Ensuring Compliance with MSP/MMSEA," Firmwide CLE, (September 2011)
- Panelist: "Medicare Update: The Impact of Medicare Reporting Rules on Asbestos Litigation," Perrin Conferences' 2011 Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, San Francisco, CA (September 2011)
- Panelist: "Current Hot Issues (Mass Torts)," Perrin Conferences, Navigating the Medicare Secondary Payer Statute in Workers' Compensation & Liability Claims, Beverly Hills, CA (March 2011)
- Panelist: "Current Hot Issues (Mass Torts)," Perrin Conferences, Navigating the Medicare Secondary Payer Statute in Workers' Compensation & Liability Claims, New York, NY (December 2010)
- Moderator: "Medicare - How Plaintiffs, Clients and the Government Address Recent Developments Regarding Repayment and Reporting," and Panelist: "Asbestos Medicine 102 Depositions of Critically Ill Plaintiffs and How to Address Lack of Memory Issues," DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, San Diego, CA (November 2010)
- Firmwide CLE on compliance with and strategies relating to Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007 (MMSEA) (P.L. 110-173) (September 2010)
- "Keeping the Profession Professional - A Panel Discussion on Ethics in Asbestos Litigation," Perrin Conferences, Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, San Francisco, CA (September 2010)
- "The Latest and Greatest Plaintiff, Defendant and Non-Party Investigation," DRI's Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Miami, FL (November 2009)
- "Women in Business Breakfast Roundtable," Perrin Conferences' Asbestos Litigation Conference: A Comprehensive National Overview and Outlook, San Francisco, CA (September 2009)
- "Managing Your Time Effectively," BVR Legal Teleconference (December 2008)
- "New Plaintiff and Product Investigation - For the Novice, the Experienced and Everyone Else," DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Panel Discussion, San Diego, CA (November 2007)
- Panelist: "The Asbestos Deposition Primer," DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar, Las Vegas, NV (October 2006)