Ryan Sellers represents his clients in personal injury lawsuits and uninsured motorist arbitrations involving allegations of catastrophic injuries. His clients include national corporations, public entities, rental car companies, contractors, a major transportation network company, and a variety of small businesses. He also has experience handling bad faith coverage litigation, landlord-tenant disputes, complex bankruptcy matters, and complex business and employment litigation, including violations of the labor code, consumer fraud, and unfair competition law.
Ryan has first chair trial and arbitration experience. Ryan’s extensive experience provides him a unique ability to investigate and defend claims from the inception of a lawsuit or demand for binding arbitration through appeal, be it a favorable settlement, dispositive motion, award following arbitration, or verdict after trial. He works closely with his clients to obtain the most favorable result in a quick and efficient manner.
When not helping clients with their legal needs he spends his time with his wife and two children and also enjoys playing poker and running in 5K races.
Uninsured Motorist Arbitration
- First chaired a binding arbitration involving a $3 million claim by a 42-year old bodybuilder who underwent a lumbar fusion surgery. Liability was not in dispute, but Ryan convinced the arbitrator that the subject accident was not the proximate cause of claimant’s need for spine surgery. The arbitrator only awarded $40,315 to the claimant, which was far below the defense’s 998 offer to compromise.
- Handled a binding underinsured motorist arbitration which resulted in an award that was below the last settlement demand.
Personal Injury Defense
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a transportation network company.
- Obtained a voluntary dismissal of a cross-complaint on behalf of a national auto repair software company in a lawsuit brought by a young man who suffered a severe spinal cord injury rendering him a partial quadriplegic. After threatening to file a motion for sanctions against the cross-complainant for the lack of any merit to the cross-complaint, the cross-complainant dismissed its cross-complaint in exchange for a waiver of costs.
- Successfully intervened on behalf of insurer in auto accident lawsuit to set aside high six-figure default judgment then negotiated a settlement for a small fraction of the initial judgment amount.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a major rental car company in defense of an automobile accident lawsuit brought by a professional soccer player. The plaintiff's claimed medical specials were in the high six figure range and included a spinal fusion surgery. Plaintiff also alleged significant damages for pain and suffering and lost wages. Plaintiff demanded $2.5 million at mediation but settled for a small fraction of this amount.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a major rental car company in defense of a head-on automobile accident lawsuit brought by two passenger plaintiffs alleging a myriad of dental, orthopedic, neurological, and psychological injuries including claims of permanent traumatic brain injuries. Both plaintiffs retained neuropsychologists who performed a full work up and claimed significant traumatic brain injuries, cognitive impairment, and other psychological issues. On the eve of trial, the plaintiffs each settled for well below six figures.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a major rental car company in defense of an auto v. bicycle accident brought by a plaintiff who suffered a knee fracture resulting in knee surgery and a dislocated jaw. Plaintiff alleged lost earnings in excess of $1.5 million, permanent knee issues, and a traumatic brain injury. On the eve of trial, the plaintiff withdrew his lost earnings claim and conceded the weakness of his brain injury claim, and the case settled for a fraction of the mediator's proposal which was well under plaintiff's initial demand.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a public entity involving a high speed rear-end bus accident on the I-405 freeway. The plaintiff alleged a brain bleed and permanent residuals from a traumatic brain injury as well as significant orthopedic issues allegedly warranting spinal surgeries. Plaintiff designated 12 expert witnesses. Defendant uncovered significant credibility issues of plaintiff and retained the necessary experts to refute plaintiff's claims. On the eve of trial, plaintiff accepted defendant's 998 Offer to Compromise in an amount equaling five percent (5%) of plaintiff's settlement demand. Several months after the settlement, defendant's counsel was informed that the plaintiff netted no money from the settlement proceeds.
- First chaired a 4-week jury trial regarding alleged misappropriation of trade secrets where the plaintiff alleged $10 million in damages, which resulted in a complete defense verdict.
- Successfully opposed motion to compel production of third-party employment records on relevance grounds on behalf of large accountancy firm.
- Successfully opposed a motion for preliminary injunction following a three day evidentiary hearing in an alleged misappropriation of trade secrets case.
- Obtained a dismissal on behalf of a major rental car company in a fraud case following a successful demurrer.
- Obtained Statement of Decision in favor of insurer client following Bench Trial in Los Angeles Complex Court. The claimant sought to enforce a $9 million default judgment against our client's named insured plastering subcontractor. The claimant's lowest settlement demand before trial was $900,000. The Court awarded nothing to the claimant.
- Obtained dismissal of insured's fraud claim at the pleadings stage.
- Obtained monetary sanctions in the amount of $7,500 against plaintiff and her attorney in defense of bad faith lawsuit due to plaintiff's refusal to provide detailed factual responses to discovery.
Breach of Contract
- Obtained a high six-figure settlement on behalf of insurer against defunct insured's foreign parent company for audited unpaid premiums. The lawsuit involved complex issues of alter ego and fraudulent transfer.
- Obtained a high six-figure settlement on behalf of insurer against insured for audited unpaid premiums.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of commercial landlord against prior tenants.
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law (J.D., 2009)
- San Diego State University (B.S., 2007)
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association