Kate Jilka Bree leads a dynamic St. Louis-based team, specializing in the strategic defense of complex cases involving product liability, asbestos, and other toxic exposure claims. Kate stays at the forefront of local developments and litigation trends with frequent appearances in courts throughout the St. Louis metropolitan area, including Madison County, IL, St. Clair County, IL, the City of St. Louis, MO, and St. Louis County, MO. Kate also serves as part of a national coordinating counsel team, responsible for defending asbestos claims on behalf of a prominent global heating product manufacturer. Kate is known for her ability to craft tailored strategies for each case, considering its unique intricacies and broader impact.
In her multifaceted role, Kate actively participates in all phases of litigation. This includes conducting thorough fact-finding and expert witness depositions, skillfully drafting and presenting dispositive motions and other pretrial motions, and successfully negotiating settlements and securing dismissals—all resulting in consistently favorable outcomes for her clients. Her consistent track record of successful outcomes demonstrates her commitment to delivering exceptional legal representation.
Kate also has a diverse portfolio of previous litigation experience. For many years, Kate successfully represented a Class I Railroad in defense of toxic tort claims. She became well-versed in railroad operations and developed expertise in briefing issues related to claims under the FELA, Locomotive Inspection Act, and Safety Appliance Act. She also effectively represented plaintiffs in medical malpractice, automobile negligence, and premises liability matters involving acute injuries. Her extensive experience and unwavering commitment to excellence make her a trusted asset to her clients.
Outside of her professional pursuits, Kate is actively involved in her local community. She serves as a member of the Board of Directors for the Delta Gamma Center for Children with Visual Impairments, an organization dedicated to providing specialized services and community support to visually impaired children. She is also an active participant in the St. Louis Forum, an organization dedicated to advancing and empowering women through professional and personal growth experiences.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., 2007)
- Lead Editor, Journal of Health Law
- Certificate in Health Law
- Academic Excellence Award for Contracts I
- Dean’s Select Scholarship
- Trinity University (B.A., cum laude, 2002)
- Phi Beta Kappa National Honor Society
- Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society
- Psi Chi International Honor Society in Psychology
- President’s Scholarship
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
- St. Louis Forum
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Delta Gamma Center for Children with Visual Impairments (Member, 2022 - present)
- Board of Directors (2022 - present)
- Member, AmeriCorps National Civilian Community Corps (2002-2003)