Douglas Simek is a trial lawyer who defends product liability litigation. He also helps corporations manage mass tort litigation spanning the United States.
Currently, Douglas serves as national coordinating counsel for a global overhead lifting equipment manufacturer and servicer that includes several different companies and product lines. In this role, he manages asbestos litigation in 25 states. Douglas is the liaison between the corporate legal department and coordinates outside counsel. He directs the national litigation strategy and trial preparation. He also defends the company's corporate representatives in depositions nationwide.
A native of Cleveland, Ohio, Douglas serves as the Director of Legal Affairs for The Sub Zero Mission. The Sub Zero Mission is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to prevent the homeless and military veterans from freezing or suffering injuries from extreme weather. Douglas is the chief legal officer and advises the organization on legal issues.
Toxic Tort Litigation
As a first-chair trial lawyer, Douglas has extensive experience in trial and appellate courts. He defends personal injury and wrongful death cases involving toxic torts, including asbestos, silica, talc, benzene, vinyl chloride, and various chemicals. He has represented many major manufacturers of industrial equipment and consumer products, including:
- Cranes and hoists
- Boilers and HVAC
- Gaskets, seals, and packing
- Joint compound
- Automobiles and light, medium, and heavy duty trucks
- Brakes and friction materials
Douglas also has immense knowledge of statute of repose laws in toxic tort cases. He regularly educates corporate clients and insurance carriers on how improvements to real property can be used as a defense in asbestos cases for industrial and heavy equipment manufacturers.
- Cleveland State University - Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (J.D., 2002)
- State of Ohio Guardian ad Litem
- University of Dayton (B.A., 1998)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- The Sub Zero Mission
- Board of Directors, Director of Legal Affairs
- Ohio Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2013-2016)
- Olson, et al. v. Air & Liquid Systems Corporation, et al., Superior Court of Washington, King County
- Maude Bell v. Doe Auto Manufacturer, Summit County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio
- Sharon Hensley v. Doe Auto Manufacturer, Summit County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio
- Marilyn Johnston v. Doe Auto Manufacturer, Summit County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio
- Kenneth Smith v. Doe Auto Manufacturer, Summit County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio
- William LaParl v. John Crane Inc., Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio
- Charles Rich v. Garlock Sealing Technologies LLC, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, Western Division
- James Bier v. Doe Auto Manufacturer, Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio
- Walter Cox v. Doe Auto Manufacturer, Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, Ohio
Appellate and Reported Cases
- Tricia Lewis v. Ashtabula Metropolitan Housing Authority, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Case No. 1:11-cv-00644: Appeal of the granting of AMHA’s motion to dismiss the complaint for failure to allege 42 U.S.C. §1983 and state created danger claims; judgment affirmed by the Sixth Circuit.
- Mark Schwartz v. Honeywell International Inc., Supreme Court of Ohio, Case No. 2016-1372: Memorandum of Amicus Curiae, Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys in Support of Merit Brief of Appellant, Honeywell International Inc.
- "Trials in the Age of Nuclear Verdicts: Case Study of the Defense Verdict in the $85M Olson Trial in Washington," Asbestos and Talc Litigation Webinar (June 2023)