Arturo Sandoval represents businesses in complex commercial litigation and product liability cases. He advises general counsels and chief legal officers of Fortune 500 corporations on managing mass torts, intellectual property, commercial contracts, and employment issues.
As a trial lawyer, Art has tried more than 20 cases in California state and federal courts. When litigation is on the horizon, clients rely on him to analyze liability exposure and proactively develop a defense strategy. He is involved in every phase of the litigation from the inception of a case through trial verdict, post-trial motions, or appeal. Art is valued highly by clients for his negotiation skills during mediations, arbitrations, and settlement conferences. Always results-oriented, he focuses on exerting leverage to obtain excellent outcomes cost-effectively.
Art has also represented pro bono clients in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. In one case, he filed an appellate brief successfully preventing the deportation of an individual to his country of origin due to a danger of substantial harm based on his client’s sexual orientation. Art worked for many years with the Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County in their pro bono program that helps minors/potential guardians with guardianships.
Art is a member and Past President of the San Francisco La Raza Lawyers Association. Part of his duties among various committees included his work with the Judiciary Committee. In this capacity, Art interviewed candidates seeking judiciary positions in California State Courts for endorsement to the Commission on Judicial Nominees Evaluation from the State Bar of California. The recommendations assist the Governor in the judicial selection process, ensuring a quality judiciary with integrity by providing independent, comprehensive, accurate, and fair evaluations of candidates for judicial appointment and nomination.
Outside of work and professional obligations, Art enjoys traveling with his wife and kids and going to baseball and football games. He is an avid fan of the San Francisco Giants and the 49ers. Before becoming an attorney, Art served on active duty in the United States Army as a military policeman and linguist.
With 18 years of experience with intellectual property, Art counsels clients on patent portfolios, trademark disputes, copyrights, licensing agreements, and trade secrets. He has represented high-tech companies in patent trials, arbitrations, and mediations. Art has also successfully obtained a trademark through the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and responds to USPTO actions. Art previously served as the production editor to the State Bar of California Intellectual Property Law Section.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law (J.D., 2003)
- Legal Extern/Law Clerk, Hon. John Munter (Ret.), Superior Court for the State of California, County of San Francisco
- Student Leadership Award
- Articles Editor, Hastings International & Comparative Law Review
- Moot Court
- Hispanic National Bar Association, National Moot Court Competition
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Mediation & Negotiation
- California State University, Northridge (B.A., 1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- San Francisco La Raza Lawyers Association
- President (2010-2011)
- Judiciary Committee
- State Bar of California
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2009-2010, 2012)
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- University of California, Hastings College of Law
- Member, Alumni Association Board of Governors (2008-2009)
- Coach, Hastings National Evans Constitutional Law Moot Court Competition Team (2009)
- Pro Bono Attorney, Legal Aid Society of San Mateo County