As a first-chair trial lawyer for more than 25 years, Roy Viola has tried 35 jury trials across the country. He handles all aspects of litigation in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, including toxic tort, asbestos, talcum powder, contaminated food, environmental, and construction defect cases. He has also been involved in the opioid litigation, representing wholesale pharmaceutical distributors in both state and federal courts.
Roy also litigates commercial, D&O, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), and employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) cases. He actively participates in all areas of discovery, including depositions, motions, and strategy development. He frequently is local counsel in New Jersey and Pennsylvania for various firm clients, regularly appearing in court for motions, hearings, and trials.
Roy was a combat officer in the United States Army Air Defense Artillery before attending law school. After graduating from Rutgers Law in 1993, he re-entered active service as an Army Judge Advocate where he served primarily as a trial counsel (prosecutor); in 1996, he was also named a Special Assistant United States Attorney responsible for felony prosecutions on United States property. He was a Distinguished Military Graduate and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal by the Secretary of the Army.
After leaving active duty, Roy entered private practice and immediately began trying cases in New Jersey. He has been placed as the trial counsel in dozens of very complex multi-million dollar cases. He has also represented large corporations as national coordinating counsel, overseeing and directing litigation and defense strategy throughout the United States. He has been a featured speaker at numerous conferences and CLEs, including HarrisMartin and the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Rutgers University School of Law - Newark (J.D., 1993)
- East Stroudsburg University of Pennsylvania (B.A., magna cum laude, 1989)
- Outstanding History Graduate Scholarship
- Distinguished Military Graduate
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Attorney Ethics and Professionalism Committee
- Oliver, et al. v. Miller, et al., Superior Court of New Jersey