Jeff Thayer is a passionate civil litigation lawyer practicing intellectual property, complex litigation (toxic torts and products liability), entertainment law and insurance coverage. Jeff represents companies and individuals, from complaint to verdict, advocating for his clients zealously at every step of the litigation process. He has significant experience in taking cases to trial - including motions in limine, voir dire, and witness examination – and in pretrial discovery, depositions, written and expert discovery, which has resulted in favorable settlements and dismissals of multi-million dollar matters in state and federal court.
Jeff is also a registered patent attorney, licensed by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). He has prepared and submitted patent applications of all types including semi-conductors, software, and electronics, and expertly crafted responses to office actions, both in the US and in the EU. Jeff also has significant experience in the IP areas of copyright, trademark, trade dress, trade secret, internet law and entertainment law.
Jeff received his Juris Doctor from UC Berkeley’s Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) in 2001. While there, he was a competitor in Moot Court, winning the Best Brief Award for Outstanding Advocacy. Jeff also clerked with the Monterey County District Attorney’s Office and with the Office of then-State Senator Bruce McPherson. Prior to becoming a lawyer Jeff received a B.S. in Chemical Engineering, with an emphasis in bioengineering, from UCLA. Jeff worked for The ADEPT Group, Inc., an engineering consulting group specializing in alternative fuel applications and developing green technology for public transportation.
In his personal life Jeff enjoys travelling, hiking, running, swimming, sampling craft beers, and reading science fiction/fantasy novels and history. He is married and lives in Lafayette, California.
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.S., 1998)
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- American Bar Association
- Board of the Contra Costa County Bar Association
- Barrister’s Section
- Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom
- The Bar Association of San Francisco
- State Bar of California
- Busk v. Doe Auto Manufacturer, Superior Court of California, County of Placer