Jeff Thayer is a skilled trial lawyer who defends auto manufacturers and dealerships in commercial and contract litigation, including cases involving consumer protection laws such as California’s Song Beverly Consumer Warranty Act (lemon law) and fraudulent concealment. Jeff also represents corporations in complex product liability and toxic tort litigation. He defends cases from complaint to post-trial motions and appeal, advocating zealously at every step of the litigation process. His significant experience in defending and trying cases has resulted in favorable verdicts, settlements and dismissals of multi-million dollar matters in state and federal court.
Jeff is also an experienced intellectual property litigator and registered patent attorney. He has litigated cases and worked on patent applications involving semi-conductors, software, and electronics, and expertly crafted responses to office actions both in the US and in the EU. Jeff also has significant experience in the IP areas of copyright, trademark, trade dress, trade secret, internet law and entertainment law.
Jeff received his Juris Doctor from UC Berkeley’s Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) in 2001. While there, he was a competitor in Moot Court, winning the Best Brief Award for Outstanding Advocacy. Jeff also clerked with the Monterey County District Attorney’s Office and with the Office of then-State Senator Bruce McPherson. Prior to becoming a lawyer Jeff received a B.S. in Chemical Engineering, with an emphasis in bioengineering, from UCLA. Jeff worked for The ADEPT Group, Inc., an engineering consulting group specializing in alternative fuel applications and developing green technology for public transportation.
In his personal life Jeff enjoys travelling, hiking, running, swimming, staying caffeinated, and reading science fiction/fantasy novels and history. He is married and lives in Lafayette, California.
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- University of California, Los Angeles (B.S., 1998)
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- American Bar Association
- Board of the Contra Costa County Bar Association
- Barrister’s Section
- Bay Area Lawyers for Individual Freedom
- The Bar Association of San Francisco
- State Bar of California
- Busk v. Doe Auto Manufacturer, Superior Court of California, County of Placer