Michael Goldman and Ed Ulloa Obtain Favorable Verdict in Los Angeles Product Liability Case
Michael Goldman and Ed Ulloa obtained a favorable verdict after a three-week jury trial before the Honorable Robert L. Hess in Los Angeles County Superior Court. This product liability case involved severe burn injuries sustained by a firefighter to his hands while fighting a fire. HPY’s client manufactured the gloves the firefighter was allegedly wearing and was the only defendant remaining at trial. The defense argued that the gloves complied with governmental regulations as they were designed pursuant to OSHA. The defense further argued lack of causation because the evidence showed that the plaintiff was not wearing the gloves when injured.
After hearing trial testimony from several fact and expert witnesses, the jury assigned HPY's client only 25% liability, with the remaining 75% apportioned between the fire department and the plaintiff. This resulted in a total verdict that was a fraction of the plaintiff’s pretrial settlement demand.