Zachary S. Lewis
Zack Lewis is a litigator whose practice focuses on professional liability defense, business disputes, insurance coverage, and commercial motor vehicle cases. Zack has successfully tried cases to judges and juries in multiple Georgia Courts. He has also briefed and argued successful dispositive motions and appeals in both state and federal courts.
After graduating from Emory Law School, Zack began his legal career as a judicial law clerk for two Superior Court judges. Before joining the firm, Zack worked at a litigation boutique where he represented individuals and corporations in business disputes (as plaintiff or defendant) and also represented individual plaintiffs in commercial motor vehicle cases.
Professional Liability Defense
Zack’s professional liability practice focuses on legal malpractice defense. He has represented attorneys in civil claims brought by clients and non-clients and has litigated claims arising from commercial real-estate transactions, franchise agreements, securities compliance, and partnership agreements. Recent results include:
- In a multi-million dollar legal malpractice lawsuit filed by a well-known receiver, obtained complete dismissal in law firm client's favor in Federal District Court;
- Obtained summary judgment on all counts in law firm client's favor in malpractice action arising from a complex employment discrimination lawsuit;
- Obtained summary judgment on all counts in law firm client's favor in hotly contested malpractice action arising from the defense of a personal injury lawsuit;
- Obtained summary judgment on all counts in law firm client's favor in malpractice action arising from alleged wrongful foreclosure.
Zack represents insurance carriers in small and high exposure first-party and third-party claims arising from both manuscript and form policies. He has prosecuted and defended declaratory judgment actions and has specific experience with a variety of policies, including commercial general liability, professional liability, D&O, and commercial property. Recent results include:
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of insurer in two-million dollar late-notice declaratory judgment action in North River Insurance Company v. Gibson Technical Services Inc., No. 1:13-CV-1505-MHS,2014 WL 10119715 (N.D. Ga. Dec. 29, 2014);
- Obtained summary judgment regarding application of additional insured endorsement on behalf of insurer in declaratory judgment action in Essex Insurance Company v. Do It All Investment Group, Inc., No.1:11-cv-03120-JOF (N.D. Ga. June 15, 2012);
- Before joining the firm, Zack represented a pedestrian struck by an automobile whose insurer sought to deny coverage for late notice. After oral argument, the Superior Court of Forsyth County denied the insurer's motion for summary judgment and her lawsuit settled confidentially.
In addition, Zack represents corporate and individual clients in business disputes. Zack has secured favorable outcomes for plaintiffs and defendants in cases involving contract disputes and business torts. Recent results include:
- Successfully prosecuted the appeal of breach-of-contract claims on behalf of an investment fund in Stauffacher v. Coadum Capital Fund1, LLC, 344 S.W.3d 584, 585 (Tex. App. 2011);
- Achieved mutually beneficial resolution of real-estate dispute while also minimizing litigation costs where client entered into draconian purchase-and-sale agreement.
- State Bar of Georgia
- Super Lawyer "Rising Star," Super Lawyers Magazine (2018)
J.D., Emory University School of Law (2009)
- Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal
- Executive Symposium Editor (2008-2009)
- Editorial Board (2007-2008)
- All Georgia State Courts
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia