Matthew F. Barr
Matthew Barr is a senior partner with Hawkins Parnell & Young, LLP. Matt has over a decade of experience as a litigator and trial lawyer. Matt’s civil litigation practice concentrates on the representation of healthcare and other professionals, as well as retailers and landowners.
Matt takes pride in his ability to work with his clients, other attorneys, and judges, in a respectful and professional manner. Matt has tried numerous cases throughout the state and federal courts of Georgia and has argued before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Professional Liability Litigation
Matt has successfully defended a variety of professionals in virtually every type of malpractice litigation. Matt has represented physicians, nurses, pharmacists, midwives, psychiatrists, physical therapists, counselors, architects, engineers, real estate brokers and agents, and numerous facilities, including hospitals and mental health treatment facilities. Representative matters include wrongful death cases, bad baby cases, obstetrical cases, radiological cases, and emergency medicine cases.
Premises Liability Litigation
Matt has represented several of the nation’s leading retailers and landowners in a variety of premises liability matters, including slip and fall cases, negligent security cases, assault cases, and false imprisonment cases.
- State Bar of Georgia
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association
- Atlanta Bar Association
- ALFA International
- Litigation Counsel of America
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Super Lawyer "Rising Star," Super Lawyers Magazine (2005-2007, 2009, 2011-2012)
- Litigation Counsel of America Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, Fellow
"Excess Claims," American Law Firms Association Seminar, New York, NY (2008)
"Dealing With Default," Georgia Insurance Law Institute, St. Simons, GA (2005)
- J.B. v. Goldstein Garber & Salama, LLC
- Harris v. Spod Partners
- Gilortiz v. Cintas
- Richards v. Simon Property Group
- Hall v. Optioncare
- Goldman v. Clearvision Laser Centers, et al.
- Jackson v. Toys R Us
- Kendrick Phillips v. Simon Property Group
- McCoy v. Simon Property Group
- Myers v. CVS Pharmacy
- Nestadt v. Simon Property Group
- Reed v. Walker
- Scruggs v. Georgia Baptist, et. al.
- Smith v. Five Star
- Theresa Drury v. Harris Ventures, Inc.
- Woody v. Morin, et. al.
- Leann Woody v. Karen Morin, CNM, et al.
- Chachad vs. CVS Pharmacy and Georgia Clinic
- Gerald Nestadt v. Simon Property Group
- Gilbert Goldman v Clearvision Laser Centers, et al.
- Jayshree Chachad v. CVS Pharmacy and Georgia Clinic
- Gladys Lowe v. CVS Pharmacy
- Comnique McCoy v. Simon Property Group
- Regina Stamps v. CVS Pharmacy
- Kara Myers v. CVS Pharmacy
- Angela Delaine Dover v. Revco Discount Drug Centers, Inc. and Kristy Tumlin
- Ella Volcy v. Charter Mobil Homes
- Elton Hassle v. Gwinnett Place Associates
- Aisha Jackson v. Toys 'R Us
J.D., cum laude, Florida State University College of Law (1997)
B.S., Management, Georgia Institute of Technology, with highest honors (1994)
- Georgia Supreme Court
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Defense Verdict in Retrial of a Medical Malpractice Case
- Defense Verdict for CVS Pharmacy in Premises Slip and Fall Case
- Matt Barr Obtains Favorable Verdict in Premises Liability Trial
- Evelyn Davis and Matt Barr Elected Fellows in the Litigation Counsel of America
- Matt Barr and Joe Wieseman Win Summary Judgment in Trademark Infringement Case
- Matt Barr and Catherine McCormack Receive Defense Verdict in Premises Liability Case
- Matt Barr Receives Defense Verdict for Atlanta Hospital and Nurse