Macy M. Chan
Macy Chan is Deputy Partner-in-Charge of the Los Angeles office of Hawkins Parnell & Young, LLP with extensive litigation experience involving complex business disputes, toxic exposure and product liability. She defends Fortune 500 corporations in high-risk litigation, including employers, premise owners, and manufacturers of various products and equipment in the industrial, construction, automotive, and consumer markets.
While managing voluminous caseloads for national clients, Macy participates in all phases of litigation from inception through resolution, including discovery, investigations, fact and expert depositions, and trial. She employs an innovative and aggressive motion practice, such as moving cases to more favorable venues or forums, or leveraging early dismissals before incurring significant costs. Macy continues to litigate and manage cases after judgments and verdicts are entered to recover defense costs. In the appellate courts, Macy has assisted in a successful motion to dismiss an appeal as well as a successful response to Plaintiffs’ appeal of costs.
Additionally, Macy is involved in creative defense analysis and strategy development that assists her clients in forecasting trial outcomes. Depending upon the unique needs of each case and client, this can vary from mock trials, jury research, focus groups, as well as individual work-up. Macy has designed and produced mock trials with surrogate jurors to test trial themes and juror reaction to evidence, witnesses, and defenses. She has also participated in testing exercises with focus groups.
- Cantonese (fluent)
- Mandarin Chinese (fluent)
- Teo Chew (conversational)
- Spanish (basic)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Central City Association
- National Association of Professional Women
- State Bar of California
- Member, Mothers, Daughters, Sisters, Film screening and breast cancer awareness committee
- Top Attorney, Pasadena Magazine (2013, 2014, 2016)
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine (2016-2018)
- Southern California Top Women, Super Lawyers Magazine (2016)
- Super Lawyer "Rising Star," Super Lawyers Magazine (2015)
- Top 50 Up-and-Coming Women, Southern California Rising Stars (2015)
- Inaugural Hot List - Western Region, Lawyers of Color (2013)
- “California Trends and Developments in Asbestos Litigation," In-House CLE Series, Indianapolis, Indiana (March 9, 2015)
- “Southern California Asbestos Litigation Update – Impact of LAOSD Coordination,” In-House CLE Series, Boston, Massachusetts (October 17, 2014)
- "Planning a Defense: Case Work Up From A to Z," In House CLE Series, San Francisco, California (February 12-13, 2014)
- Santa Fe Trial Tactics Seminar, Co-Moderator (January 14-15, 2011)
Articles and publications
- Fraser, et al. v. Boething Treeland Nursery Co., d/b/a Treeland Conejo, et al.
- Swasey, et al. v. Asbestos Companies, et al.
- Roberto Campagna v. 3M, et al.
- Sergio Hravtin v. A.O. Smith Water Products, et al.
- Tully v. American Biltrite, et al.
- Michelle Brockmyer, Individually and as Successor-in-Interest to Richard Smith, Deceased, and Eric Smith v. Union Carbide Corporation, et al.
- Hiroko Felton, individually and as successor in interest to the Estate of Donald L. Felton, Deceased, v. Davison-Conroy, Inc., et al.
- Franklin Schwab and Patricia Schwab v. Pneumo Abex LLC, et al.
- Evelyn Molloy v. Crane Co. et al
- Cynthia Konigsberger v Kaiser Gypsum, et.al.
- Harvey McIntyre, et al. v. 3M Company, et al.
- Jacob and Norma Jager v. 3M Company, et al
- Nasseem and Sanna Farag v. Advance Auto Parts, et al.
- Una Miller, et al. v. Alfa Laval, et al.
- Lebus v. Warren Pumps
- Alfred Hall and Bertie Hall v. Alfa Laval, et al
J.D., Southwestern Law School (2006)
- Vice-President, Southwestern University Asian Pacific American Law Student Association
- Finalist, Intramural Moot Court Competition (2003-2004)
- Member, Asian Pacific American Law Student Association (2003-2006)
B.A., University of California, Irvine , Criminology, Law and Society, Minor in Sociology (2003)
- All State Courts of California
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Los Angeles Mesothelioma Defense Verdict
- HPY Obtains Defense Verdict in Alameda County, California
- Macy Chan Recognized as Top 50 Up-and-Coming Women Lawyers in Southern California
- HPY Elects Six New Partners
- HPY Secures Major Defense Verdict in Los Angeles Pleural Mesothelioma Case
- HPY Prevails on Summary Adjudication in Los Angeles County Mesothelioma Case
- Macy Chan and Elisabeth Bond Named to Lawyers of Color’s Hot List for 2013
- HPY Obtains Summary Adjudication in Los Angeles Mesothelioma Case
- HPY Wins Summary Judgment in Los Angeles Take-Home Exposure Case
- Ed Slaughter Wins Defense Verdict in Los Angeles Mesothelioma Case
- Ed Slaughter and Macy Chan Obtain Summary Judgment in Mesothelioma Case